Add this 80s music trivia quiz to your party – especially an 80s night – and you’ll be playing a fun game.
For many, the 1980s were a decade to remember, in terms of music. Anything from New Wave to Pop to Rock dominated the airwaves then – and even now. The 80s were a great time for catchy songs and over-the-top sounds.
With this in mind, this 80s music trivia quiz is a celebration of that period. And with the 80s back in modern day fashion and music, this is also the perfect game for newcomers to that era.
You can also enjoy this 80s music trivia, by mixing it up with other trivia games on Partycurrent.
Need a downloadable version of this trivia quiz?
Click here for your PDF copy of this 80s music trivia quiz.
Here are your first 12 80s Music Trivia questions.
1. Which hit song featured the following lyric:
“The love we share seems to go nowhere and I’ve lost my light”
b. Tainted Love
c. Love Action (I Believe In Love)
2. Who sang the title track of the late 80s James Bond film Licence to Kill?
a. Tina Turner
b. Patti LaBelle
c. Gladys Knight
d. Shirley Bassey
3. The Magic Number was a 1989 hit for the band De La Soul. Which album of theirs did it appear on?
a. 3 Feet High and Rising
b. Buhloone Mindstate
c. De La Soul Is Dead
d. The Grind State
4. Which 80s Clash song, when re-released in 1991, went straight to number one in the UK?
a. London Calling
b. Straight to Hell
c. Rock the Casbah
d. Should I Stay or Should I Go?
5. Which Duran Duran song opened with a sample of laughter from the keyboardist’s girlfriend?
a. Is There Something I Should Know?
b. Hungry Like the Wolf
c. Girls on Film
d. The Wild Boys
6. Complete the Kate Bush lyric, from her 1985 song Hounds of Love:
“Now the hounds of love are hunting. I’ve always been a coward,”
a. And I’m ashamed of running away
b. And feel your arms surround me
c. And of what was following me
d. And I don’t know what’s good for me
7. Which New Wave band scored the mid-80s hit Somewhere in My Heart?
a. Aztec Camera
d. Thompson Twins
8. The work of Fritz Lang inspired which Madonna video?
b. Express Yourself
c. Like a Prayer
d. Oh Father
9. The pencil-sketch animation technique used in the A-ha video Take On Me was known as what?
a. Onion skinning
b. Still motion
10. How many singles were released from the Prince album Lovesexy?
11. Which British band had the massive hit Fools Gold?
a. The Stone Roses
b. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
d. Joy Division
12. Which one of these songs by The Police did not chart in the 80s?
a. Don’t Stand So Close to Me
b. Every Breathe You Take
c. Walking on the Moon
d. Wrapped Around Your Finger
80s Music Trivia Questions 13-24
13. Now known as a songwriter of hits like the Britney Spears song Toxic, Cathy Dennis was once a solo artist. Which 80s song marked her debut?
a. Pump Up the Volume
b. C’mon and Get My Love
c. Theme from S’Express
d. It Doesn’t Have To Be
14. Which Grace Jones video featured excerpts from the experimental documentary film Koyaanisqatsi?
a. I Need a Man
b. Slave to the Rhythmn
c. Love on Top of Love
d. Pull Up to the Bumper
15. Which Pet Shop Boys’ song was about the lead singer’s Catholic upbringing?
a. It’s a Sin
b. What Have I Done to Deserve This?
c. Always on my Mind
16. ‘Need You Tonight’ was released by which rock band?
a. The Cure
17. Kylie Minogue began her music career in the late 80s. Which one of the following has she not done a duet with?
a. Jimmy Plant
b. Nick Cave
18. Each song below featured heavily on the soundtrack of its respective 80s movie. Can you match the right song to the right movie:
a. Danger Zone / b. The Heat is On / c. Cruel Summer / d. In the Air Tonight / e. Partyman / f. Up Where We Belong / g. Power of Love / h. Eye of the Tiger / i. Don’t You (Forget About Me) / j. The Touch / k. The Glory of Love / l. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
Batman / The Breakfast Club / Back to the Future / Rocky III / Transformers: The Movie / The Karate Kid Part II / Mannequin / Beverly Hills Cop / Risky Business / An Officer and a Gentleman / The Karate Kid / Top Gun
19. Which Frankie Goes to Hollywood song was banned on UK radio play in 1984, because of its lyrics?
a. Two Tribes
c. Welcome to the Pleasuredome
d. Rage Hard
20. Talking of lyrics, which Roxette song featured the line:
“I’m not afraid, a trembling flower, I’ll feed your heart and blow the dust from your eyes”
a. Listen to Your Heart
b. The Look
c. Dressed for Success
21. Which Peter Gabriel song was not a gigantic hit in the 80s?
a. Red Rain
b. Games Without Frontiers
c. Don’t Give Up
22. Which female singer was responsible for the song Could’ve Been?
a. Debbie Gibson
b. Paula Abdul
c. Belinda Carlisle
23. The French song Joe le Taxi, by Vanessa Paradis, charted at what position on the UK chart?
24. Which Eurythmics song featured the lead singer entering a derelict cottage in a nightgown?
a. Here Comes the Rain Again
b. Right by Your Side
c. Would I Lie to You
d. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
80s music trivia – the answers:
1. b. Tainted Love / 2. c. Gladys Knight / 3. a. 3 Feet High and Rising / 4. d. Should I Stay or Should I Go? / 5. b. Hungry Like the Wolf / 6. d. And I don’t know what’s good for me / 7. a. Aztec Camera / 8. b. Express Yourself / 9. d. Rotoscoping / 10. b. 3 / 11. a. The Stone Roses / 12. c. Walking on the Moon / 13 b. C’mon and Get My Love / 14. d. Pull Up to the Bumper / 15. a. It’s a Sin / 16. c. INXS / 17. d. Shakira / 18. a. Top Gun – b. Beverly Hills Cop – c. The Karate Kid – d. Risky Business – e. Batman – f. An Officer and a Gentleman – g. Back to the Future – h. Rocky III – i. The Breakfast Club – j. Transformers: The Movie – k. The Karate Kid Part II – l. Mannequin / 19. b. Relax / 20. c. Dressed for Success / 21. a. Red Rain / 22. d. Tiffany / 23. b. 3 / 24. a. Here Comes the Rain Again.