If you can name that Christmas carol, you’ll have one up on everyone else this holiday season.
The first Christmas hymns, specifically for Christians, appeared around fourth century Rome. Since then, they’ve become a permanent fixture, wheeling themselves out for every Yuletide singalong, radio jingle or TV show.
This Name that Christmas Carol quiz celebrates these hymns by testing your familiarity with them – one lyric at a time. Can you name ’em?
1. Strike the harp and join the chorus
2. Let men their songs employ
3. O hush the noise, ye men of strife
4. Out jumps good old Santa Claus
5. A symbol of good will and love
6. Herod the King, in his raging
7. Let steeple bells be swungen
8. The horse was lean and lank
9. Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
10. While shepherds watch are keeping?
11. With the angelic host proclaim
12. His blood mankind hath bought
13. And a cup of good cheer
14. And all the bells on earth shall ring
15. No ear may hear his coming
16. And the running of the deer
17. Radiant beams from thy holy face
18. Asleep on the hay
19. With every Christmas card I write
20. Sing, choir of angels
Name that Christmas Carol – the answers:
1. Deck The Halls / 2. Joy to the World / 3. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear / 4. Up On the Housetop / 5. O Christmas Tree / 6. Coventry Carol / 7. Ding Dong Merrily On High / 8. Jingle Bells / 9. We Three Kings of Orient Are / 10. What Child Is This / 11. Hark The Herald Angels Sing / 12. First Noel / 13. We Wish You a Merry Christmas / 14. I Saw Three Ships / 15. Oh Little Town of Bethlehem / 16. The Holly and the Ivy / 17. Silent Night / 18. Away In a Manger / 19. White Christmas / 20. O Come All Ye Faithful.